Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Week Night- Date Night

Hello friends!

Gabe and I decided that since the weekends get so busy, we would have a date night during the week! Tonight consisted of dinner and a movie.


Dinner for us tonight meant Burger King and our movie choice was Lone Survivor.


Now, I am not a huge movie guru. I like to watch them on TV but it takes a special movie for us to go to the theater (I mean, tickets are $10 a piece!) and I would have to say, Lone Survivor is worth way more than a $10 ticket.




I had been hearing really great things about this movie and was excited, and a little nervous, to see it. I was nervous because I wasn't sure how I would react to a very real account of an experience that many of my patients have seen or dealt with themselves. The movie is based on a book that the Seal who made it out alive, Marcus Luttrell, wrote. The movie is said to be done very close to what actually happened to Seal Team 10 and what they had gone through in Afghanistan. Between the physical wounds and the emotional wounds, I cannot fathom what it takes to be a Navy Seal or any other member of our military. It is a strength that I have no comparison to and the scenes at the beginning of the movie that include a glimpse into what I would imagine is basic training for the Seals, is tough. It makes me feel like a huge wimp for being "too tired" to get up and work out in the morning. It makes me feel like a huge wimp for not being "strong enough" to carry some heavy boxes. This movie makes one look at themselves and say, "Would I ever be able to endure that?". And the simple answer is no. These men are special. They can carry on after being shot multiple times and carrying another soldier after their own shins and ankles have been broken. It was one of the most emotional movies I have ever seen.


This movie hits us hard, right in the heart, because we know it is real. As you watch someone falling down a rocky cliff, we know this happened, and happens to our military men and women often. After the movie was over, I had a really hard time saying this movie was "entertaining". To me, someone else's pain should never be shown for someone else's entertainment. But these men's pain, is what makes me able to wake up and freely go to the gym before I go to my job that I freely chose. This story shows us how big the sacrifice is, it is more than we can imagine. This is a story everyone needs to hear so we can all take a moment each time we see a Veteran (and not just on Veteran's day) and say "Thank you."


Lone Survivor kept me gripping Gabe's hand the entire time and fighting back tears. I thought my eyes were open to what being in our military really entails, but after seeing this movie, my eyes are open even wider. Please go see this movie. I really hope it makes us all stop and think. We need to be more grateful and more aware of the sacrifices others who don't even know  us, are willing to make on a daily basis for us.


Once you see the movie, read the book. 



Xo- Karalie

No comments:

Post a Comment