Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Inspiration Tuesday!

Hello friends!


Big news in the Gantz house.... We have FINALLY decided on a style/design for our kitchen and master bathroom renovations. Gotcha. Now, you may not think this is big news, but to us it is! We have been debating about these renovations for a couple months now, not being able to pull the trigger. I think now that we have a very clear vision of what we want... the magic can begin!


I want to share a few of my "inspiration" photos for both spaces. Our house has a definite style to it that I like to call "Modern Farmhouse."  I am slightly obsessed with antiques and things of that nature, but at the same time, love straight lines and geometric patterns. Trying to find the balance between these two seemed to be a challenge at the beginning, but I think I have achieved this in our dining room and living room. Now.. I am the one that thinks this and am no expert in any shape or form. Other's may have a different opinion, but they don't live here, therefore, it doesn't matter!

Let's talk kitchen!

Right now our kitchen has a very funky layout that drives me crazy. Here's a photo of what we are currently working with:


This was before we randomly decided to start demo-ing the floral board. Sorry Gabe!

This picture above is looking in through the dining room. Here's another view:


This is looking from the sink- we took a door off to see if we could strip the varnish and paint the doors. Holy work.

Now here are the pro's of my current kitchen:
  • Space. I have ample space to work with in designing the new one.
  • Cabinets. Even though I can't use all the cabinets because of the weird layout, I have space for a lot of things.
  • Window. The window over sink lets in so much gorgeous light and looks out into the back yard.
Let's talk con's:
  • LAYOUT. There is not a great working triangle for this chef-wannabe. 
  • Floral board. Whoever invented that plastic floral board covering the walls is not a friend of mine. 
  • Counter tops. Outdated. 
  • Cabinets. Outdated. 
  • Storage. While I have a lot of cabinets, there is no pantry or broom closet.
There are good things and bad things about the kitchen and it helped when we first decided to renovate this space to list them out. It has led the new design.

Here is my inspiration picture:


The things I love most about this kitchen are as follows:
  • Cabinet colors.
  • Pops of bright colors (ours will be mint obviously)
  • Those adorable "EAT" pallet letters
  • Type of floor (wood ceramic tile)
  • Rectangle back splash (ours will be a glass tile)
Up next.. We have to figure out how much work we want and have time to do ourselves, what we need to have a professional do, and how much we want to spend. Kitchen and bathrooms add up very quickly and we don't want to have to sell a kidney to pay for it. Can't wait to show you updates of this project! 

On to, the bathroom.

Our master bathroom is terrible. I mean carpet, laundry facilities, original vanity terrible. See below:


This was when we first moved in. We do have a dryer and adorable laundry hampers from TJMaxx in there currently. But I mean honestly.. Why do people put carpet in bathrooms? I will never have an answer to this question. When we bought our house we new it needed renovating which was one of the reasons we purchased it, we wanted to make it our own! Here are the inspiration pictures for the new bathroom:



Here is what I love about the above pictures:
  • SUBWAY TILE. It comes in so many different colors but we are going with good ole' white with a dark grey grout. Very classic. 
  • Wood floors. We are once again doing the wood ceramic tile in the bathroom. 
  • Re-purposed vanity. I am on the hunt for an antique vanity that can be re-purposed into a vanity with sink. 
  • Modern farmhouse feel. See above. 

Gabe and I are off to pick out tile tonight and can't wait to show you what we decide on! I will most definitely keep you all updated of this ginormous project we are undertaking. Wish us luck!

Have a happy and blessed day all!

Xo- Karalie 

No comments:

Post a Comment