Friday, September 20, 2013

Friday is oh so sweet!

Happy Friday all!

Some of you may be heading off to tailgates this weekend (our Cats are away in Austin- Go State!) so I thought I would share something that would be perfect to bring to your tailgate- or if you are in need of just a little fall sweetness!

I made these Chocolate Pumpkin Salted Caramel bars last night and the pan is almost empty... (We have been sharing though!)

The original recipe is from Two Peas and Their Pod and the original is DELICIOUS! I have been taking those bars to tailgates for awhile now... but I thought I would change it up and put my own spin on it.

So here goes-
First, preheat the oven to 325 degrees.


   Here are pictures of most everything you need... minus heavy whipping cream and coarse sea salt.      (If you can't tell I really love my label maker- obviously I know that is brown sugar in the container)



First, combine the 12 Tbs melted butter, 3/4c brown sugar, 1/2c white sugar together in a mixer. Once, mixed, add in one egg, plus one egg yolk. Beat until combined. Add two caps full of vanilla and 3/4 can of pumpkin puree. (NOT pie filling, just the puree).  Once all combined, you have this glorious electric orange liquid.


Then add this much cinnamon.  Sometimes when I bake.. I just guess amounts... Lets call this, 1/3 palm full.

Once that is all together... it is time to start on the dry ingredients. Add in a few pinches of REGULAR table salt, 1/2 tsp baking soda and combine. Then add in 2 1/4 c of flour in small increments. Turn your mixer down or you will be wearing the flour... its not the best look. Once combined, add in 1 1/2 c of semi-sweet chocolate chips. Adjust according to how much you like!



Spread half the batter in the bottom of a baking dish. I think mine is approximately 11x8.
Now comes the fun part.....



Mix about that many caramels ( I used half of a small bag..adjust accordingly) and 3 Tbs heavy whipping cream. Melt in microwave until blended stirring every 30 seconds. Do not forget to stir!! Once it is melted.. Pour over the batter layer and sprinkle with coarse sea salt... like this!


Once you have sprinkled the right amount of sea salt... add the second layer of batter. BE careful! The caramel is still gooey so if you spread the cookie dough, all your caramel will end up along the edge.. the middle will just be sad. It should look like this...


Sprinkle with a little more sea salt and pop this beauty into your preheated oven. I baked mine for about 35 minutes... start checking yours around 25 and go from there!!  Then pull them out of the oven...

....and try to not eat the whole pan in 2 days.... it is hard.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Xo- Karl

1 comment: